Eat Right for Mens Fashions Week With Robert Geller's Favorite Lasagne Recipe!
Posted: Feb 01 2016
In time for Men’s Fashion Week, designer Robert Geller shared his favorite Lasagne recipe with us!
A holder of the 2003 Ecco Domani award, the 2004 Vogue/CFDA Grant, and the 2009 GQ/CFDA Best New Menswear Designer Award, Geller worked for Marc Jacobs--where he met his wife, designer Ana Beatriz Lerario--and co-founded Cloak before he launched his own women’s knitwear line, called Herald. He then went on to establish his own eponymous menswear line that we all love.
Geller’s collection is at once emotive and refined. He tactfully combines unusual shapes, silhouettes, and colors in ways that are very much his own, and yet his line remains wearable, versatile, and subtle. Geller and Lerazio live in New York with their beautiful children, Luna and Anis. Below is Robert Geller’s Best Lasagne ever, roll up your sleeves and GET IN THERE!
You will need:
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
You will need to:
- Cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned in a dutch oven. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving